30 October 2013

Rye Bread

You can't beat the smell of a hearty loaf of bread baking in the oven, or let's face it we all love a gadget so it's probably in the break maker. But since going wheat free I've struggled to get a good, fluffy loaf until I tried a 100% rye bread. Now rye bread is heavy, dense and filling so it's great for open sandwiches and dunking in some soup on a rainy and wintry day. 
Here's how I make mine, you'll need:
  • 500g rye flour
  • 10g salt
  • 10g dried yeast
  • 350ml warm water
I love proving to people that baking is so super easy and this is perfect for that. First, stick all the dry ingredients in a bowl and give it a good stir, then add the warm water. I make my warm water but adding some boiled water to cold but you could use a microwave like a normal person (I don't have one). So now you need to really mix the water into the flour mix until it looks like a dough and here's the best bit.... Put it straight on to an oiled baking tray, that's right, NO KNEADING!

This bread is bread as a round loaf or as individual rolls, today I've gone for a loaf. The loaf needs to prove (or rise) for around 35 minutes in a warm place, I just bung mine on top of a radiator. Then bake the loaf in a preheated oven at 250c for 30 minutes, then reduce the heat to 200c for another 20-30 minutes until it's smells awesome and looks lovely and crunchy. Then simply cool on a wire rack and try your very best to not to devour it in a oner...

No comments:

Post a Comment