23 March 2014

Chinese Supermarket and recipe: prawn wraps

You all know that I love food, I love all food (apart from mushrooms) especially food from oriental countries. I love most things oriental, especially Chinese food, the colours and the flavours melt my brain with joy. So any excuse to go to my local Chinese supermarket and I'm there! The SeeWoo in Glasgow is a great excuse to stock up on incense like this:
Wheat free noodles:
Beautiful prawns: 
And most importantly these rice papers:
Now after reading this post from Claire - read her blog here, it's full of amazing vegan recipes, fashion and crafty projects - I was dying to try a something similar. This is where the prawns and papers come together to make my delicious wheat free, dairy free dinner that is super tasty.

You'll need:
  • two rice papers
  • a handful of prawns
  • two tablespoons of sweet chilli sauce
  • 1 small carrot
  • 1 spring onion
  • a chunk of cucumber - about 5cm
Just defrost your prawns overnight in the fridge, mine are in their shells but they are really easy to peal once defrosted. Rinse the prawns in some cold water and get them straight into a hot frying pan, here you just fry them with a little bit of spray oil, once the prawns are almost cooked add the sweet chilli sauce and leave to bubble away, making sure you coat all of the prawns in the sauce.

Shred the vegetables ready for the wraps. The rice papers are incredibly easy to use, simply soak them, one at a time, in warm water until they soften, it only takes 3-5 minutes. All you need to do now is split all of the ingredients equally between the two papers, wrap and enjoy!
I just need to learn to wrap mine more neatly!

2 comments:

  1. Yessssss. Go team rice paper! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know why I didn't think to try them before! Thanks for the inspiration ;) xx

      Delete